Cabo De Rama Fort
The Cabo De Rama Fort is situated at Canacona taluka in southern Goa at a distance of 30 kms. from Margao.It is said that Lord Rama, the hero of Ramayana stayed here with his wife during their 14 years of exile. This fort was invaded by many armies at different periods of time and has witnessed numerous battles particularly naval ones. At one point of time this fort also served as a prison for political prisoners during the Portuguese rule.
This is the best place for those who want to be away from stressful life, because this place offers peace and serenity. From the fort one can get a great view of the Arabian se and the nearby Cabo de Rama beach. You can get to this place by either by hiring a car, taxi or even by a bus which drops you right to the fort from Margao or the nearby town of Canacona.
Rachol fort is situated to the northeast of Margao. It is located adjacent to the Rachol Seminary, about 4 kms away from the town of Margao.This fort is well known for its battles between the Vijayanagar and Bijapur empires after the collapse of the Kadamba dynasty in Goa. In the fifteenth century the Hindu Vijayanagar took it from the Sultan of Bijapur.
The fort was fully built out of laterite stones. The Rachol fort is not known for its architectural delight but is significant for its scenic beauty. The area around had rice fields, rivulets shrimp farms and sluice gates which control the flow of water from the nearby river into the shrimp farms. Unfortunately most of the fort has been destroyed by the ravages of time. The only thing that stands till date is the gateway which leads to the seminary.
The Anjdiv fort is located on the Anjdiv island which is located on the border of Goa and Karnataka. This Island is also known by various other names like Anjadiva or Anjediva. These names come from the Sanskrit word Anjani Dweep. The word Anjadiva means Fifth Island. It is located near Binaga village near Karwar. This Island occupies an area of 1.5 square kms.
This fort houses a church. This church is believed to be the temple of Aryadurga in ancient times which is now converted into a church. The building of fort made Sultan of Bijapur Adilshah to feel threatened and it resulted into an attack on this island fort. But this attack was unsuccessful. The base is being rapidly modernized to accommodate the western carrier battle group. As a result the fort and island is not easily accessible to the general public since it is in a militarized area.
At a distance of 33 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand and 4 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station, Mormugao Fort is located just south of Mormugao Port in South Goa. Mormugao Fort was considered as one of the most important coastal forts of Goa. Primarily, Mormugao was generalized to be the capital of the Portuguese empire, hence the Fort was erected and in 1703 the viceroy moved into the town. Mormugao Fort is closer to Varca beach.
The Mormugao Fort was essentially built by the Portuguese in 1624 to protect the harbor, territorial waters in and around the Port of Margao. The Mormugao Fort is a tough fortification jutting out far into the sea with a magnificent lookout for invaders and attackers.